Wishlist: Image Plates From Random Sites

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Easy Jambalaya!

When we went shopping the other day we picked up some home made chicken sausages from Sunflower Market, they have them on sale now and then so we stock up and freeze. We get their apple & maple syrup and basil & garlic. But this time we also decided to try their Chicken Cajun sausage, and husband asked me if I could make a jambalaya. So I decided to share my recipe, it's not to spicy. And if you don't have a butcher that makes really nice fresh sausages you can swap it out with some Kielbasa. Also since I am using this Cajun sausage I skip the Cayenne pepper, so it won't be too spicy for the kids or my grandmother in law, or me even.
And like today, I saute the meats first to get color and seal in the flavor. Then I move it over to my slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients turn it on and walk away. But anyways here it is.

2 tsp olive oil
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1 lb Kielbasa (or Cajun chicken sausage), sliced and cut into half moons.
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (skip or add only a dash if you have the Cajun sausage)
1/2 tsp onion powder
salt & pepper to taste
2 cups uncooked rice ( I use Jasmine or Basmati)
4 cups chicken broth
2 bay leaves

Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat, Saute chicken and sausage until lightly brown. Stir in onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Season with cayenne, salt, pepper and onion powder. Cook for 5 mins, or until onion and celery is tender. Add the rice and stir in  the chicken stock and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let it simmer for about 20 mins stirring now and cook until rice is tender. If you like more heat you can add 1-2 tsp of hot pepper sauce.
Serve and enjoy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment