Wishlist: Image Plates From Random Sites

Friday, June 1, 2012

Filled with sadness.

A bit over 6 years ago in Arizona my husband and I went to look at two puppies. I had only lived over here for a few months and I missed having a dog.I grew up with dogs my family has had male Golden Retrievers for years, so I wanted a male dog. So we met this family who had 2 young puppies Sharpei/Lab mix one male and one female. I couldn't get the young male's attention, but the little girl was full of energy and showed she really wanted to be mine. The little thing managed to melt my heart so, she went with us.  On our way to Petsmart and back home she wanted to be held and kept licking my ears and face, and her tail wouldn't stop moving. She was house trained when we got her, only thing she did was go flat on the floor and move closer and closer to the paper basket to steal papers to rip into pieces. So naming her was easy, Rikku after a character in Final Fantasy X a young thief girl. She went along great with our cats, and when Daniel was born she was home alone for hours and had been a very good girl not making a mess or biting stuff to pieces. Then later became a great  playtime buddy for Daniel. And when Kevan's grandmother moved in with us and we had to go out and run some errands  she would be a great guard dog and not leave her side until we got back home. And when we lived in CA for a year she was with grandma and made her feel safe when it got dark and she went to bed for the night.

A few weeks ago her face was all swollen, her ears had some kind of infection, so she got some medication that helped. Then last week she started to get ill again, and yesterday we went back to the vet. After a few tests it was clearly to her something was wrong, so they did a X-ray of her chest. Then she got us and showed the cause of all of the problem. And explained  that a healthy dog's x-ray will show dark areas on her/his heart and lungs. On Rikku's there wasn't a single dark area, and she explained it showed tumors and fluids in her lungs. They could try and drain some of it out, but she told us we only could get a couple of days at the most. And there wasn't anything that could be done.It was clear to her that Rikku had cancer for a while and it had spread to her vital organs. And that it's not normal for dogs that young to get cancer, and she didn't show any of the normal signs. She never cried out in pain, and her symptoms were normal for allergies for the Lab and Sharpei breeds. I knew what I had to do, and it was clearly she wanted me to know that she wanted me to let her go. And I got to be there with her, it was quick and very peaceful. Thank you to the Dr Butler and rest of the staff at Holladay Veterinary Hospital, you were all amazing and understanding. And thank you Bradley and Anne two friends from the game, we had no idea that we had friends like you two in our lives. 

Rikku, thank you for making the first years in a a new country be easier to handle. And being great company when daddy was at work and little baby Daniel and I were alone at home. You made us feel safe, thanks for being a great friend to Belle, Apollo, Alexander, Artemis, Ares and Pancake. Thanks for looking after grandma when we weren't home. You would let grandma hold on to your harness if she needed help to get up from her seat and you didn't leave her side when she got out of the hospital in case she needed you. And of course being a play buddy to Daniel and Grace, you let them do what ever they wanted without a growl or bark. You wasn't the smartest one, but you had loads of love to show instead. I love you and miss you so much already, my little piglet puppy. I started to call her my little piglet puppy when she was little because of her ears and her cute snort sounds. 





Rikku & Alexander.



An amazing song from FFX-2 and the character she was named after. The girl with long blonde hair is Rikku.



    Hello. I've been expecting you for quite some time.
    Here, come sit beside us for awhile .
    and let me tell you about this old friend of mine.
    She might look tattered or maybe old
    But I won't say goodbye until you've been told.
    She had the brightest eyes I had ever seen,
    And wore a beautiful fur coat that would out shine a queen .
    She was never prissy but walked with an aire ......
    And oh so polite, you could take her most anywhere.
    She could run like the wind and could catch anything she chased
    But she protected and sat with me when I had problems to face.
    You could not find a friend nearly so dear.
    Because no matter the trouble she always stayed near...
    She has never asked for much from me;
    Just to love and respect her and I think you'll agree .
    To give her a good meal plus a nice warm bed is not much to ask ;
    When she has given me all her love and to her this was no task.
    Now I understand you have a schedule to keep.
    But I have a small favor before she nods off to sleep.
    Please fold your wings around her and let her feel young while in no pain ;
    Dear Guardian Angel of Pets ,
    please keep her safe and happy until I see her again.

    Ginger Patton


1 comment:

  1. hard for me to type from the tears. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Good to to know she wasn't in pain and was able to pass easily. Never easy losing a dear pet. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this sad time.

    ReplyDelete